Not only is the Jazz Standard one of the best jazz rooms in New York, they also serve up some great barbecue from The Blue Smoke restaurant upstairs. A $100 gift certificate should guarantee a great night out!
How to enter? As usual, you simply have to identify a mystery location in New York. Jason Crane at The Jazz Session, who put this contest together, came up with an appropriate jazz-themed puzzler:
In 1958, 57 notable jazz musicians gathered on a brownstone stoop for a legendary photograph entitled A Great Day in Harlem.
Your mission: where was this photo taken? With a little online research, it shouldn’t be too hard…
THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO ANSWER – JUST PICK ONE!
The more difficult, the more times your name goes in the hat. Ready?
- E-mail the correct street with cross streets (i.e. 14th btw. Broadway & 5th Ave) and your name goes in the hat ONCE
- E-mail the exact address (i.e. 23 W 14th Street) and your name goes in the hat TWICE
- E-mail a picture of yourself photoshopped in front of the building using Google Street View, and your name goes in the hat 5 TIMES!
- E-mail a picture of yourself actually standing in front of the building, and your name goes in the hat 10 TIMES!
You can only enter under ONE of these options. In other words, you can’t take a picture of yourself in front of the building AND photoshop yourself in front of it – gotta pick one!
Submit your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Contest begins as of the date of this post through Monday, July 4 at 11.59pm.
- One entry per person
- You must send the correct address of the mystery location above to email@example.com.
- Include your name and address so we can mail you your prize if you win (your info will not be shared with anyone)
- From the correct answers, a single winner will be chosen
- This is just for fun – rules subject to change whenever Scout or Jason deem it necessary
- No complaining!
Finally, be sure to check out TheJazzSession.com, where Jason hosts a podcast with in-depth interviews of jazz musicians, producers, and others in the field. To date, that’s hundreds of interviews and over one million downloads! Find them all online for free and subscribe via iTunes here!
PS – Reader Dave shows you how to do it!
Though you don’t have to do it this flawlessly! Just get yourself in front of the building and you’re good!
If you enjoyed reading this post, would you consider making a donation to help me make my first movie? The goal is $50,000, and to date, 1,728 Scouting NY readers have donated $36,348! Just $5 or $10 can make a difference - AND you get this snazzy Scouting NY sticker/magnet as a Thank-You gift! Click here to donate today!